Mr Richard Perry
Colorectal & General Surgeon
MBChB, DipObs, FRACS, FAICD, CMInstD
Richard Perry is a General and Colorectal Surgeon in Christchurch, New Zealand. He is currently Vice President of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
Richard was one of the founding directors of the Oxford Clinic Day hospital in 1996 and established Intus Digestive and Colorectal Care in 2004.
Richard’s early experience with laparoscopic surgery led to his pioneering laparoscopic colorectal surgery in New Zealand, performing his first laparoscopic bowel procedure in 1991, and first colonic resection in 1992. Since then he has performed more than a thousand laparoscopic operations for colorectal resection for bowel cancer, diverticular and inflammatory bowel disease, and endometriosis.
- Otago University Medical School, 1978
- Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in Christchurch, 1986
- Health Futures Foundation Fellowship at Creighton University, Omaha, Nebraska, USA
- United States National Institutes of Health Fogarty Fellowship to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, USA, 1989
- Fellowship of the Australian Institute of Company Directors, 2017
- Laparoscopic colorectal surgery
- Pelvic floor and anorectal disorders, including haemorrhoids, fistulas, rectocele and rectal prolapse.
- Colonoscopy and colonoscopy standards
- Surgical education and skills training
- Governance and standards
- Vice President of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Immediate past
- Elected Councillor, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons 2011 – present
- Member Colorectal Surgical Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Visiting Consultant Surgeon, St Georges and Southern Cross Hospitals, Christchurch
- Deputy Censor-in-Chief, RACS
- Chairman, Skills Education Committee, RACS
- Past Chairman, Australian and New Zealand Surgical Skills Education and Training Committee, RACS
- Past Councillor and Secretary, Colorectal Surgical Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Member, Mayo Alumni Association
- Member New York Academy of Sciences
- Member, New Zealand Medical Association
- Chartered Member, Institute of Directors in New Zealand
- Author of numerous papers on subjects relating to colorectal surgery and surgical education
- Contributor to several surgical textbooks